Search This Blog

Friday 29 March 2013

Imagine FX issue 95 review: Manga Issue


I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going (sorry it had to be said).  This is the reason I am still subscribed to IFX. Being a huge fan of the manga style how does this issue stack up to my expectations? The front cover is a stunning 2 page spread (over the front and back cover). Derrick Chew has really out done himself here.

Let me just say, if you are expecting nothing but manga art in this issue, you maybe disappointed. FXPose is kind of lacking in this area. That is not to say that there is no talent there. It is the usual impressive gallery that is has always been and it serves as a bit of a break for those who are not necessarily into this style. My favourite artist in this section this month is Leann and Karin Regenass (page 17). This is a delightful and unique find.

Tutorials

First off the artist's Q&A seems less intimidating than previous issues. I think this is because manga art seems more accessible than the usual photo realism illustrations that artists want to emulate. This whole section has a fun feel to it and on a personal level makes me want to dust off my Wacom and get stuck in.

For those of you who want a more advance tutorial, the later pages should peak your interest. These will be a little more intimidating for the more casual artist but they are very informative. I personally love the simplistic image on page 77. Choi Won-Chun teaches how to take full advantage of photoshop's masks feature.

Other Noteable Sections

The sketchbook section features some unashamedly stylised works. The confidence here shows some real potential. Whilst not at the same level as most of the other images in the magazine there is alot of heart here and that brought me an unexpected smile.

Artist portfolio seems a little out of place in a manga issue. Don't get me wrong Simone Bianchi is an extremely talented comic artist with a very impresive portfolio but could they not have found a manga artist. Why not feature Genzoman? I would have loved to hear more from him.

Overall Impression

Being a huge fan of the manga style I felt this issue was fun but I do feel that there were afew missed opportunities. I was half expecting wall to wall manga/ anime but some areas where lacking. Is this issue worth getting? Yes. No matter what level of artist you are, you will find something you will enjoy. Even if you don't like manga there are enough breaks for you to enjoy. Part of me wishes they had of stayed on topic though and I do wish they tackeled manga more throughout the year.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, this is Karin Regenass :)

    I was just looking for reviews and enjoyed reading yours (because where we live we cannot get the magazine T^T)

    Thank you for liking our stuff :)

    (I am using Leann's profile :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leann (Karin Regenass. I run the blog and wish to say thank you for the kind words. People like you make all this worth while.

      Delete
  2. hi this is Ruben, can y buy this issue online?

    ReplyDelete